Monday, March 4, 2013

Juicehead

We really drink shit in this country. I never thought much of my beverage consumption until I realized I had no options. Iced tea, sprite, diet coke, vitamin water. It doesn't really matter what you choose, they all have the same ingredient list! High fructose corn syrup, artificial flavor, artificial sweeteners, yellow no 5. And I've been trying to make the "healthiest choice" between these bottles for years. It sort of creates a helplessness, realizing that what you put into your body has already been chosen for you, masked by the illusion of options between label gilded bottles.

What has manifested by this lack of choice, is an intrigue in Juicing. Since the start of this crazy diet, I've thought about the health benefits of getting a juicer or a nutrabullet to make my own fruit/ veggie juice combos. Partially to end the tedium of day of water without end. I don't intend on becoming one of those juice cleanse, all I eat for breakfast is a wheatgrass shot, kind of juice head. But, there is something about a tall glass of glistening green juice that makes me think happy thoughts. And while juicing does remove most of the fiber in veggies and concentrate the sugars in fruits, there's something kind of beautiful in such a high concentration of nutrients packed into one place. And so, I took the plunge, stopped at a juice shop I passed as I walked home on saturday afternoon. I was overwhelmed and a bit intimidated by the row of refrigerated bottles, and the happy, informed, and people with gorgeous skin who worked the counter. But after weighing the anticipated taste and veggie content of each combo, I settled on two bottle. A deep pink confection romantically named "The Paris" that was a mixture of beets, carrots, apple, ginger, pineapple and pair as well as a short stouter bottle with w technical name that contained pineapple, ginger and wheatgrass. The Paris was absolutely delightful, rich in flavor, sweet and spicy from the ginger. The second bottle (shown here) was definitely more utilitarian, it was half the size, but took me twice as long to drink. Much more ginger, along with the earthy wheatgrass. After each one I felt full and satisfied, and happy. Which made me think, perhaps I could be one of those wheatgrass for breakfast kind of girls....but then i realized sometimes you really just want eggs.






No comments:

Post a Comment